Friday, January 30, 2009

Why I Love Southwest

A few people asked me how the flights to and from Ft. Lauderdale went. I was quite nervous about juggling the stroller, baby, carry-on and security, but it all went well. I did my best to travel light - only carrying on a diaper bag (highly recommend the Diaper Dude - very well designed). For the most part, everyone was very helpful to me, and I was so thankful. The security folks in RDU helped me fold up my stroller and put it through the X-ray machine. They had to scan the baby formula* and I'm dying to know how they did this without opening the bottle. I felt like I could breathe quite a bit easier once I got through this part.

While I was waiting for them to announce our flight, I ran into a partner from my old law firm and his wife. It was great to catch up with them, and they were both very helpful to me when we lined up to get on our flight. A Southwest employee helped me down the ramp and even folded up my stroller for me. The flight wasn't full so they told me I could bring Merritt's carseat onto the plane. Here's where it got fun:

The flight attendant who was greeting everyone offered to hold Merritt while I installed the car seat. This was great, and she had fun holding her while saying hello to all the passengers, who were probably surprised at this. When I finished installing the seat, I looked up to see the pilot of the plane now holding the baby with a big grin on his face. I heard a lot of people oohing and aahing at the baby (she had on her cutest pink sleeper and was especially happy that morning). It was so great (especially since I'd been so nervous about all of this!). The pilot said the baby wanted to be up front with them. I said "Well, her grandfather is a pilot, so maybe it runs in the family." He really didn't seem to want to hand her back, but eventually he did and I got her situated in her seat. She slept during takeoff and for most of the flight. The flight attendant came by a few times and gave us a certificate to commemorate Merritt's first flight. I fed Merritt while we landed so her ears would clear. Andrea and Sara picked us up at baggage claim in Ft. Lauderdale (where they told me the hilarious Poptart story).

The flight back was less eventful, but peaceful, since Merritt slept the entire flight home, and even for another hour after we got home. She had no idea she'd just flown to an entirely different state while she napped! Our flight back was like a private jet since there were only about 20 people aboard - not only did I have the entire row to myself, but every row around me was empty (other passengers gave us very wide berth).

I'm so glad we went to FL to visit my sister and her family - it was so worth it! We had a wonderful time!

Today we are getting ready for Doug's brother, Don, to arrive for the weekend from Atlanta. Can't wait!

*I bought pre-mixed Enfamil in ready-to-use bottles, which is the same brand we give Merritt in powdered form. I learned that it isn't exactly the same though. She had quite the stomach troubles for the rest of the day. Ugh - learned my lesson there!

No comments:

Post a Comment